November 16, 2013

Simple Minds- "Someone Somewhere in Summertime" (1982)

My obsession with 1982 runs deep.  It was the year that Cocteau Twins recorded their debut album, the year that The Birthday Party hit it big, the year that Basquait started filling galleries in New York City, and not to mention the year that Simple Minds put out New Gold Dream.  I will be sharing this absolutely flawless record with all of you in the next couple of days.  For now, here is a brilliant live performance in Newcastle of a song off of that record, "Someone Somewhere In Summer Time".  This performance emanates great passion and precision.  Anyone watching becomes transfixed on Jim Kerr's stage incandescent performance, and Charlie Burchill's guitar playing represents New Wave at it's pinnacle.  

What I would give to be amongst the crowd in Newcastle in 1982...  

6 comments:

  1. such an amazing clip. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I couldn't keep this one to myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the day I bought this import album, in a small shop. It was recommended by the chap working there. I took it home and was blown away. Excellent track. I think 1982 was the year I discovered the Psychedelic Furs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. scurfie, that's awesome! 1982 was a year of musical brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I 'get' your obsession with 1982, there was a change of guard there from the old, but brilliant, punk into post-punk then something else entirely evolved. Simple Minds then, and from the early albums, were superb, AND Scottish. Great bands around that time from my birth-land, Associates etc. Thanks. Norrie.

    ReplyDelete